Product Development Manager (Kidswear) .
The Barbour story began in 1894 in South Shields in the North East of England. Founder John Barbour began supplying oilskins and other garments to protect the growing community of sailors, fishermen and dockers. These first weatherproof items quickly established Barbour’s reputation for innovation and quality.
Today, Barbour remains a fifth-generation family business. Under the leadership of Chairman Dame Margaret Barbour, Barbour has grown into a lifestyle brand offering a wardrobe of stylish functional clothing and footwear for men, women and children inspired by the unique values of the British countryside.
Position: Product Development Manager (Kidswear)
Location: South Shields, Tyne & Wear (Commutable from Newcastle, Sunderland, Bedlington, Blyth & surrounding areas)
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date for applications: 16th June, 2019
About the role:
As Product Development Manager Kidswear (Childrenswear Lead) you will develop products and ranges to grow sales and margin in line with Company strategy and objectives for identified product categories (Childrenswear & Loungewear).
- To understand the Barbour brand, specifically in relation to Childrenswear, its markets and what works for them through: analysis of current and historical sales performance, fully understanding the definition of the brand, researching key partners of the brand, key competitor activities, core consumers, key trade customers.
- To develop and agree range and design direction / strategy in line with the Directors brief, seasonal range plans to achieve agreed objectives, specific new product opportunities.
- To do this in close connection with the sales team & key accounts.
- To develop and build close working relationships with key buying teams and fully understand the requirements of the key accounts and seek to build the business with them.
- To ensure all new products are of the highest standard in terms of performance, durability, fit, detailing and finish and ensure they all conform in terms of safety and legal requirements.
- Work with garment technology and / or production source to ensure garments can be made to required quality, cost and performance. This ideally will include specifying the garments in a design spec and completing the BOM requirements re our PLM system.
- Assist in identifying and developing production sources which meet quality and cost standards.
- Work with sales / marketing to ensure best presentation and take-up of ranges.
- BA Hons. Fashion / Clothing Design or HND Design or related design course.
- Category management responsibilities especially in relation to Childrenswear.
- Clothing within the market ranges of branded, casual / lifestyle.
- European, UK and USA clothing markets and relevant trends.
- Understand methods to design and develop garments to meet the range plans.
- Clothing supply chain.
- Garment construction and pattern making.
- Planning methodology to deliver critical paths.
- Commercial design methods delivering within margin targets.
- Fabric sourcing and textile technology.
- Understanding cultural diversity in order to relate to international personnel.
- Information Technology including: MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet, PDM, Illustration packages.
- Ability to analyse external and internal numerical data and translate into actions.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
- Project management skills in order to co-ordinate activities and ensure results achievement.
You may have experience of the following: Product Development Manager, New Product Development Manager, Product Manager, Brand Manager, Category Manager, Commercial Design, Clothing Industry, Childrenswear, etc.