Specification Technologist / Food Technologist .
Established in the UK in 1992, Bowman Ingredients specialises in the production of coating systems for customers in the global food processing industry. Through our strong customer focus and dedication to product innovation, we have grown to become one of the UK’s leading food coatings companies and a major player worldwide.
We work with processing firms and food solutions suppliers to develop value-added products for retail and foodservice markets. We support many of the world’s leading food brands though our international network of manufacturing sites and commitment to new product development.
Position: Specification Technologist
Location: Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday & 8.30am to 4.30pm Friday
About the role:
- Complete customer own format and BI Development specifications, ingredient declarations and customer format specifications.
- Supply specification and nutritional information for customer product launches for packaging, food safety and intolerance data.
- Complete customer SQA’s
- Handle customer enquiries on product recipes and the raw materials they contain with regard to country of origin, food scares, health and safety data, allergen and nutritional information generated off the computer recipe management system.
- Support maintenance of the Recipe Management system and work with suppliers to obtain extra information where required.
- Maintain awareness of legislative issues including EU food law. Disseminate information as appropriate.
- Responsible for placing new products on to the production system, including all relevant technical and packaging requirements, within required deadlines.
- Responsible for placing new raw materials on the system and ensuring all specifications and supplier questionnaires are kept up to date and approved on the system.
- Maintaining the supplier database.
- Develop knowledge of the key ingredients within coatings, seasoning blends, binders and thickeners including raw materials and their functions.
- Develop a full understanding of Bowman Ingredients capabilities and knowledge of the production and quality standards required.
- GMO, work with suppliers to ensure compliance with legislation and customer expectation on this developing area.
- Complete end to end specifications enabling customers to complete field to fork traceability.
- Keep up to date on EU Food Law alerts and Rapid Alerts.
- Experience of writing specifications.
- A BSc or food related degree or equivalent experience.
- Excellent working knowledge of excel and its functions.
- Exhibit strong team working skills.
- Experience of working within an administration role or technical based role.
- Analytical and thorough.
- Able to demonstrate ability to build effective working relationships.
- Desire to be involved in all parts of the process.
- Able to demonstrate initiative.
- Able to work politely and constructively with customers and suppliers.
- Experience of using computer data systems, including Sage and Creations.
- Current, valid driving licence.
- Experience of technical food standards such as Food Safety and Quality Standards.
- Experience of using internet based specification systems such as QADEX.
- Knowledge of auditing.
- Awareness of HACCP.
- Knowledge of basic food law.
- Good Time Management.
You may have experience of the following: Specification Technologist, Food Technologist, Specification Specialist, Nutritional Specifications, Food Law, Legislations, Food Safety, Customer Service, Quality Technician, etc.