Engineering Senior Buyer .
Unipart Dorman is a leading UK manufacturer of LED solutions for rail and traffic signalling and hazard warning lights and its name is recognised globally for quality and innovation. The organisation is part of Unipart Rail who provide the most comprehensive portfolio of products, services and solutions available for the rail industry, using its deep expertise in continuous improvement processes to support its customers in the development of the railway system.
Position: Engineering Senior Buyer
Location: Southport, Merseyside (Commutable from Preston, Bootle, Wigan and surrounding areas)
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: Up to £35,000 per annum
Benefits: 25 days holiday + 8 Bank Holidays
About the role:
Unipart Dorman is undergoing growth in new markets developing and innovating products using new and emerging technologies. We are looking for a Senior Buyer who enjoys working as part of a team to help realise our growth plans.
Reporting to the Purchasing Manager and working as a member of the purchasing team, the Senior Buyer will be responsible for purchasing materials and services (direct and indirect) and developing strong relationships with new and existing suppliers aligned to business purchasing requirements.
- Responsibility for day to day purchasing activity ensuring materials and services (direct and indirect) are procured in a timely and cost efficient manner, aligned to the business demands.
- Placing and expediting of Purchase Orders and controlling material movements.
- Ensure compliance to purchasing process on products, pricing and contract management.
- Support Purchasing Manager with the resolution of supplier caused quality and delivery issues.
- In conjunction with the Purchasing Manager and Rail Divisional Procurement Function, maintain reliable cost competitive sources of supply, in conjunction with Strategic Procurement objectives.
- Development of strong working relationships with new and existing suppliers.
- Support the Purchasing Manager with innovative sourcing of new suppliers.
- Negotiation of terms with suppliers, contractors and sub contract manufacturers.
- Ensure purchasing activity is accurately maintained within the MRP and Uniplan systems.
- Support the bi-annual stock take activity, as required.
- Attendance at production meetings as Purchasing department representation.
- Embrace Unipart Way lean tools and techniques to support with day to day operations and monitoring of KPI’s.
- Assist the Purchasing Manager as directed.
- Degree qualified in a Business or Engineering discipline is highly desirable.
- CIPS Purchasing Qualification (full or part qualified or working towards achievement) is highly desirable.
- Experience of Purchasing within a manufacturing / engineering environment.
- Familiarity working with MRP systems.
- IT literate.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to influence and negotiate with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Pro-active, positive attitude with a flexible approach to working.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Travel to other Unipart sites and to visit suppliers may be required.
As a valued employee of Unipart Rail, you can look forward to a varied and rewarding career with a company that holds the Investors in People accreditation and also world class status in employee engagement.
You may have experience of the following: Senior Buyer, Purchasing, Purchasing Manager, Buyer, CIPS, Tenders, MRP, Procurement, Procurement Manager, Supply Chain, Supplier Management, Manufacturing, Engineering, etc.