Quality Engineer (Aerospace) .
Bromford Industries is a privately-owned enterprise trading on a global basis, supplying precision machined components, fabrications and assemblies to leading OEM’s in the aerospace, defence, marine, power generation and nuclear markets, demonstrating an impressive health and safety culture.
Position: Quality Engineer
Location: Birmingham, B24 8DW
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 39 hours per week; Monday to Thursday 08.00 – 17.00 with breaks and 08.00 – 13.00 on Fridays
About the role:
We have a vacancy within our Engineering & Product Quality Department and are currently recruiting for the role of a Quality Engineer. We are looking for candidates who have relevant and proven experience seeking an opportunity to develop their skills and join a growing Organisation.
- Support the “internal customer” (Manufacturing Managers) by sharing agreed objectives on EHS, Quality, Cost and Delivery and participating in the Operational Control model.
- Participate in the Manufacturing Manager and / or Team Leader walk the floor routine and develop a stand-alone walk the floor routine specific to the QE role.
- Participate in the Daily Operations Meeting and relevant Standard Diary meetings, taking ownership of problems assigned to the Quality function for resolution.
- Contribute to the delivery of the EHS Model, by participating in Job Safety Observations and providing solutions to EHS problems, where appropriate, and within the scope of the QE role.
- Understand the process constraints and operating rules of the value stream covered in the QE role, and participate in problem-solving exercises to improve flow where relevant.
- Where appropriate, create, submit and control customer concessions as a containment action and participate in the problem-solving process to eliminate repeat concessions.
- Compliance and New Product Introduction & Development (NPDI).
- Create and control (to the correct version) relevant Quality documentation such as (but not limited to) Control Plans, Inspection Plans, SPC charts, etc.
- Develop robust, cost effective and practical inspection methodologies using appropriate measuring equipment suitable for products throughout the life cycle.
- Complete measurement systems analysis (MSA) in line with current standards.
- Take accountability for the relevant milestones in the NPDI gated process, fulfilling all QE tasks defined in that process (e.g. completing First Article Inspection Reports and other Customer specific requirements using appropriate standards and customer approvals, gaining customer approvals, supporting PPAP, providing relevant Quality information to other functions, etc.).
- Ensure delivery of the NPDI milestones under the scope of the role are delivered on time, within budget, and comply to customer specification.
- Create Competitive Advantage.
- Develop a continuous improvement “pipeline” of activities by supporting LEAN events and generating individual ideas to improve EHS, Quality, Cost and Delivery performance. For example, by improving right first-time quality performance and improving productivity / throughput, developing actions to eliminate quality defects, and working to create a safe and environmentally compliant workplace.
- Apply problem-solving methodologies to define and solve problems at root cause as a method of improving operational performance process capability and quality problems.
- Participate in problem-solving peer reviews, training and awareness activities to help the organisation develop a strong problem-solving culture.
- Implement and / or project manage problem solutions through (but not limited to) working with external suppliers, working with customers, proving out improved technologies, completing Process Failure Mode.
- Effects Analysis (PFMEA) activities, etc.
- Participate in internal and external audits, taking account of outcomes from audit processes and working to implement solutions where gaps are identified.
- At least 3 years of experience in a Manufacturing environment with similar technologies (machining).
- Experience of working in a Quality role within the Aerospace industry.
- Experience of applying structured problem-solving techniques.
- An understanding of LEAN manufacturing philosophy.
- An understanding of A9100, AS9102 and related Quality Systems.
- Experience of preparing First Article Inspection Reports (FAIRs).
- An understanding of APQP, PPAP and PFMEA.
- An understanding of Measurement Systems Analysis (AS13003).
- Experience in the use of Quality related software such as Visual FAIR / PPAP.
- French speaker would be an advantage.
You may have experience of the following: Quality Engineer, Quality Manager, ISO9001, Quality Assurance Manager, Manufacturing, Engineering, QA, Quality Assurance, Compliance, Quality Assurance Engineer, Compliance Manager, etc.