Legal Advisor (3 years PQE+) Construction Industry .
We are one of the leading independent engineering and services businesses in the UK. Founded in 1921, with a turnover of £500m and 3000 employees, we are proud of our history of developing great people through our investment in training.
Progression is something we value and we’ll make sure that when you join us you have a clearly defined development path, supported by regular reviews, training and ongoing support to enable you to be the best you can be.
Position: Legal Advisor (3 years PQE+)
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Benefits: Holiday (25 Days), Company Car, Pension with leading provider, private healthcare, discounts, personal development programme and flexible benefits
About the role:
We are currently recruiting a Legal Counsel that is a professionally qualified Solicitor or Barrister who reports to the Group General Counsel and supports the businesses in the NG Bailey Group with appropriate legal advice and governance.
This role requires a professionally qualified solicitor or barrister of at least 3 years post qualified standing (some or most of which should have been in a construction law related environment), with strong legal knowledge and experience and the ability to quickly learn new specialist areas of law and assess the commercial risk involved in a matter. The role will require an ability to work with complex legal issues, provide clear and concise advice on them and find commercial solutions for the business in line with acceptable governance and processes. Previous in house experience in the construction industry is preferred.
The Legal Advisor will work across all NG Bailey business units (Rail, Engineering, Facilities Services, IT Services) and our Central Functions (HR, L&D, ICT, Group Sourcing, BD & leasing).
The successful candidate will also be a minimum of 3 years qualified as a Solicitor or Barrister.
The position is based in Birmingham supporting the operational businesses on the ground, the role will based in Birmingham, but appropriate travel to other offices and sites to advise the businesses will be a regular part of the role.
- With minimal supervision from General Counsel and Company Secretary, assist the legal department providing: Internal support to the businesses in litigious matters, including debt recovery; judgements and insolvency.
- Commercial support for all non-construction contractual matters and agreements across the business including Central Functions (HR, L&D, ICT, Group Sourcing, BD & Leasing) and the Services Business.
- Compliance and Regulatory support including DPA, Competition, Bribery Act, IPR, Modern Slavery, PPL & PRS licences; monitoring new legislation and regulations relevant to the businesses with internal processes and systems of good legal governance.
- Support to the commercial function in winning projects and managing risk appropriately in contracts and across the supply chain, including in relation to contracts, collateral warranties, bonds and parent company guarantees.
- Assistance in the development and delivery of training programmes such as e-learning modules, webinars, legal surgeries and legal updates.
- Assistance in the review, drafting and development of NG Bailey standard forms and template agreements.
- Managing the instruction and adherence of external legal advisers in line with agreed terms and conditions and budgets and monitoring performance.
- Where necessary, assist Insurance Manager in the formation, management and reporting of insurance claims.
- Support the operational businesses on the ground - The role will based in a hub office, but appropriate travel to other offices and sites to advise the businesses may be required.
- Manage appropriate contentious matters under minimal supervision.
- Take on legal projects and complete in required timescales.
- Ensure projects are successfully won on terms which are commercially acceptable and in line with good governance with appropriate supervision when necessary – businesses compliment line manager on quality and results of advice.
- Provide regular training to up skill the businesses in legal matters which they come across, including email shots and webinars.
- Interface with external legal advisers and effectively manage achieving targets on output, cost and time.
- Act as an appropriate role model for junior lawyers to offer guidance and development.
- At least 3 years PQE as a construction lawyer.
- Legal knowledge in relevant areas of the law, project structures and forms of contract used in construction industry.
- Satisfactory knowledge of dispute resolution processes.
- The ability to work with complex legal issues and find commercial solutions for the business in line with acceptable governance and processes.
- At least 5 years PQE as a construction lawyer (desirable).
- Some commercial, corporate, project finance, compliance, property or employment law experience (desirable).
- In house legal experience, including corporate governance (desirable).
- Qualified Lawyer or Barrister with at least 3 years post-qualification experience.
You may have experience of the following: Legal Advisor, Construction Lawyer, Construction Services, Barrister, In-House Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel, Commercial Lawyer, Solicitor, In-House Lawyer, Legal Associate, Qualified Solicitor, In House Legal Counsel, Contract Law, etc.