Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technician / Mechanical Engineer .
Position: Multi-Skilled Technician (Mechanical Bias)
Location: Llantarnam, Cwmbran, Wales (Commutable from Pontypool, Newport, Chepstow, Cardiff and surrounding areas)
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: The position is on a Continental Shift Pattern, covering 39 hours per week
Who we are?
At Burton’s Biscuits Company we are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
Our Vision is to have a shared Pride and Passion for baking sensational biscuits & snacks that delight our consumers, shoppers and our customers. We’re the only major biscuit manufacturer in the UK to focus solely on biscuits, making us one of the key players in the market. We employ circa 1,800 people around the UK, with the majority of our workforce being based at our three main Bakery facilities in Llantarnam, Edinburgh and Blackpool. Our head office is based in St. Albans, with a subsidiary office is located in Blackpool & smaller but equally important Bakery based in Dorset.
We had an amazing 2018, which has included seeing Wagon Wheels featured on the Great British Bake Off and our Llantarnam site featuring on ITV4, as part of their documentary 'Made in Britain'. Along with having amazing brands, we have secured a long term agreement to allow us to manufacturing a number of Mars Biscuit branded products & Cathedral City savoury snacks, we are also forming key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in early 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s. This will only increase our baking capabilities across a number of brand new sweet & savoury categories.
As the new home of Thomas Fudge’s premium biscuit brand, Burton’s Biscuit envisage Thomas Fudge’s as forming a key branded range across our existing product portfolio.
What we are all about here?
Our forward-thinking strategy historically led to some impressive results with Burton’s Biscuit Company transforming its portfolio shape and profitability since 2009. We hope to accelerate our portfolio transformation and growth further by expanding into adjacent categories, new geographic territories and through synergistic bolt-on mergers and acquisitions.
Why work as part of our team?
We are looking for an ambitious Multi Skilled Technician with a Mechanical Bias who is seeking a challenging and rewarding role at the heart of our business at our Llantarnam Manufacturing Site.
You will provide a timely and effective engineering service to our customers in production whilst ensuring safety, quality and hygiene standards are met. The position is on a Continental Shift Pattern, covering 39 hours per week.
What does your typical day look like?
- Carry out planned maintenance activities as scheduled by the maintenance plan contained within the CMMS.
- Attend and repair breakdowns as required, and report all actions carried out and any further actions required, via the CMMS.
- Report in a comprehensive manner via the CMMS, all work activities carried out on a daily / shift basis.
- Be proactive in preventing equipment failures and improving overall equipment performance by generating and implementing ideas and modifications.
- Provide a service that meets agreed service levels, including minimising downtime and communicating effectively with relevant personnel.
- Provide a service that meets food safety standards, whilst maintaining standards of housekeeping and personal hygiene.
- Maintain and help improve health and safety standards and ensure that staff work in a safe environment by eliminating, minimising and controlling risks to themselves and others.
- Cooperate with contractors and as far as possible ensure their adherence to site rules, health and safety and food safety standards.
- Undertake training as required to further enhance individual’s skills and knowledge so that the level of support to the front line operations remains effective and efficient.
- Train others so that they are able to carry out their expected work duties to the required standards.
- Identify performance issues and implement appropriate and pragmatic solutions through the use of problem solving skills, tools and techniques.
- Maximise the use of the labour and skills available by being flexible in terms of work allocation and scheduling within the team.
- In consultation with the appropriate personnel, be able to correctly prioritise the work load for the overall benefit of the site performance.
- Must be able to work to agreed deadlines where necessary.
- Must be willing to work under the guidance of departmental and site KPI’s to maximise business performance.
What are the key ingredients needed for the role?
- Educated to HNC standard or higher in Mechanical Engineering, and time-served with mechanical bias to NVQ level 3
- Post apprenticeship, preferably in a high speed, high volume manufacturing environment (food environment preferable).
- Experience of preventative maintenance, predictive maintenance and diagnostic fault finding
- Familiar with TPM principles including 5S, use of CMMS (computerised maintenance management systems) ideally SAP, but not essential.
Final part of the mix.
We offer fantastic company benefits, an environment that you will enjoy to work in and genuine development and progression opportunities.
Does this sound like the role for you? Apply by clicking the link.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume you have not been short listed for an interview.
You may have experience of the following: Multi-Skilled Technician, Multi-Skilled Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Maintenance Technician, Engineer, Shift Engineer, Multi-Skilled Shift Engineer, Mechanical Apprentice, Preventative Maintenance, Predictive Maintenance, Production Engineer, Food Manufacturing, Manufacturing, etc.