Production Engineer / Support (Gas Cylinder Manufacturing) .
Chesterfield Special Cylinders Limited was formed in August 2004 following a Management Buy-Out (MBO) from its German parent company. Originally founded in 1897, it has historically traded successively as Chesterfield Tube Company, TI Chesterfield, UES, UEF and ECS Chesterfield Cylinders.
The company is a specialist designer and manufacturer of high pressure, seamless steel gas cylinders and supplies a range of blue chip clients in the aerospace, defence, oil and gas, transportation and ground storage sectors, including BAE Systems, National Oilwell, Linde-BOC and the Royal Navy.
In June 2005 the company relocated its manufacturing facility from Chesterfield to Sheffield. The company has seen considerable growth since the relocation and has strengthened in a number of key functions including Purchasing / Logistics, International Sales, Manufacturing Engineering and Design / Technical.
Position: Production Engineer
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: £26,000 - £30,000 per annum
About the role:
This is a new position and will provide much needed first line support to the production / engineering department. Prime objective for this role will be to ensure that the manufacturing process operates as smoothly as possible, costly inefficiencies are reduced to a minimum. Identify and provide reliable solutions for all technical issues taking manufacturing to the next level.
A strong working knowledge of manufacturing process will be required with modern lean practices. Machine CNC programming online and off line with the ability to train operators and strong tooling appreciation. Articulate technology and product development to enhance the manufacturing stages.
- General support to the production line, covering all aspects of engineering.
- Single point of contact for all issues associated with manufacture.
- Gain a high level of understanding of all necessary processes and techniques associated with the entire manufacturing process.
- To provide support, advice and ideas to enable Production to operate at maximum efficiency and that all work flows in support of this objective. Identifying opportunities were efficiencies can be improved is major part of this role.
- Ensure CNC programmes and setting sheets are correct and available for Production.
- Tooling development and managing.
- Maximizing jigs and fixtures with new designs.
- Ensure accuracy of standard times.
- Ensure accuracy of all operating procedures and manufacturing disciplines.
- Address all inaccuracies / discrepancies on Drawings / BOM’s / works orders to avoid repeats.
- Assist with the closeout of NCR’s, QIR’s and customer complaints.
- Assist the Quality Department in the construction of procedures.
- To identify and implement cost-savings initiatives that remove non-value-added steps from the process, consequently saving time and money without impacting the quality of the finished product.
- Involvement with lean manufacturing events.
- Support the development of equipment assets to maximise performance, quality and productivity.
- Assist in the justification, selection and acquisition or capital equipment.
- Define, evaluate, develop and commission new or innovative solutions to manufacturing processes.
- Be proficient in leading complex troubleshooting exercises to identify and validate root cause for a broad range of process and product related issues.
- Initiate engineering solutions to remedy and execute improvements through the provision of robust cost v benefit proposals.
- Sound knowledge of our manufacturing processes.
- Practical working knowledge of working with and solving production issues.
- Good communication skills.
- Competency in the use of CNC programming.
- Ability to work on own initiative, present ideas and solutions.
- Sound attitude for team work.
- Ability to resolve problems in an efficient manner.
- Ability to plan and prioritize activities.
- Ability to Communicate and present data effectively.
To be considered for this varied and challenging role it is envisaged that the successful candidate will be educated to at least ONC / HNC standard, will have successfully completed a mechanical engineering apprenticeship, and will have proven experience of working in a comparable production engineering environment.
You may have experience of the following: Production Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Manufacturing Support, Engineering Support, CNC Programmer, Application Support, Mechanical Engineer, CNC Programming, Mechanical Engineering, Steel Production, Steel Manufacturing, etc.