Policy Officer .
Position: Policy Officer
Location: Hertford, Hertfordshire
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £30,506 to £34,703 per annum (inclusive of local weighting)
Benefits: A variety of flexible working options available, including part-time working, job share, compressed hours and home working. Flexi-time scheme. Local Government pension scheme. Generous annual leave. A range of discounts including high street retailers and local leisure centres.
Closing date is: 21 January 2019 at 9.00am.
Interviews will take place on: 29 January 2019.
About the role:
An opportunity has arisen within the council’s Communications, Strategy and Policy service for a full time, permanent position as a Policy Officer. East Herts Council has an ambitious agenda and with elections due in May 2019 this is an exciting time to join us in a crucial role.
You will support the Council’s Executive and Leadership Team on shaping long term objectives for the Council, providing high quality policy advice to senior managers and elected representatives on emerging issues and opportunities. You will also work alongside officers at all levels within the organisation, translating strategy into operational priorities.
- Supporting elected representatives with the development of the corporate plan and delivering its objectives
- Leading a robust scrutiny process by supporting policy development through task and finish groups
- Undertaking research and producing briefing papers for the Leader and Chief Executive of the council
Ideally you will have experience of working in a political environment and knowledge of local, regional and national agendas. The ability to work at pace and be able to form good working relationships internally and externally is essential.
You will have:
- A degree or equivalent qualification
- Experience of policy and strategy development in the context of multi-agency working
- Knowledge of and understanding of policy agenda for local government and the public sector as a whole
You may have experience of the following: Policy Officer, Legislation, Lobby, Lobbyist, Policy Planning, Researcher, Public Affairs, Policy Executive, Policy Assistant, Policy Administrator, Regulation, Regulatory, Public Sector, Local Government, Local Authority etc.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital / parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.