Transport Supervisor .
Next Distribution Limited is one of the most advanced logistics operations in Europe. From our warehouses and Regional Service Centres we send stock to Next Retail and fulfil Directory on-line orders from the UK and abroad.
Position: Transport Supervisor
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
About the role:
The Transport Supervisor will ensure the Traffic Operation runs smoothly, cost effectively and legally across the shift.
- Ensure that all relevant safety regulations, legal and company policy are adhered to and that staff are aware of their individual responsibilities to ensure their own and others safety at work
- Address areas of concern or where level of responsibility prevents this and escalate to Line Manager and / or relevant Department Head
- Monitor accident / incidents, conduct accident investigations and follow up action where necessary acting immediately on any breach of company H&S policy
- Ensure that ‘O’ Licence requirements are adhered to and Company regulations are compiled; ensure any vehicles and equipment used by the Company comply with the relevant legislation
- Manage drivers’ hours to ensure efficient utilisation
- Ensure the vehicle is taken off road (VOR’d) if applicable and that repairs are arranged promptly to avoid disruption to service; ensure defect notes from repaired vehicles are correctly completed and correctly filed
- Contact stores to inform of any issues with service & update Call Logger
- Liaise with Despatch to chase progress of loads communicate regularly with drivers and resolve issues
- Ensure that all paperwork, reports and IT systems are accurate and meet specific deadlines
- Despatch drivers with run sheets, manifests and vehicle check sheets and ensure accurate records of Driver, Tractor, Trailer, and Rigid are kept against runs performed on Atlas; update Atlas with any missing data to achieve full compliance
- Ensure personnel records are accurate, up to date and that procedures are adhered to including recruitment inductions, leavers, changes etc.
- Monitor and control sickness and absence conducting investigations and disciplinaries where necessary
- Conduct investigations and issue disciplinary warnings up to and including dismissal seeking HR advice from the relevant HRO for site
- Conduct bi-monthly and annual appraisal for Traffic Supervisors, arrange training, both on and off job to develop their potential
- Ensure vehicles are allocated to drivers taking into consideration the vehicle’s mileage and maintenance schedule
- Receive, check in and out hire kit ensuring damage is recorded accurately and that paperwork is completed and filed correctly
Essential skills / experience:
- Experience of management of a team 15+ direct reports
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels including handling difficult situations
- Experience of dealing with ER issues up to and including dismissal
- Strong people management skills, leading by example, engaging with colleagues at all levels
- Strong administration skills
Desirable skills / experience:
- GCSE or equivalent at grade C or above in Maths and English
- Experience gained within a similar position
- Experience of coaching and development
- Supervisory management / experience
- Full UK driving licence
- Good knowledge of Road Transport Regulations
- PC Literate
You may have experience of the following: Transport Supervisor, Transport Manager, Transport Team Leader, Supply Chain Supervisor, Supply Chain Manager, Supply Chain Team Leader, Transport Planner, Logistics Supervisor, Logistics Manager, Logistics Team Leader etc.
This vacancy is being advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment, the UK’s leading Online Recruitment Agency. The services advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment are those of an employment agency. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief, and we confirm that we will gladly accept all applications.